Wednesday, April 28, 2010

For The Sake of Allah...

As a new revert, we often have to change our lifestyle and give up certain things for the sake of Allah. The first thing that I let go of was the old way of dress. I immediately started wearing hijab-a week before I took my shahadah actually-and didn't have a problem doing it. But when it came to my nails-there was a slight struggle. You see I have an inner "hood chick", so I love bright nail polish and usually wore long acrylic nails. I learned pretty quick that nail polish prevents one from making wudu(which in turn keeps one from being able to make salat). So I told myself-"Okay D, no color but you can still have nude acrylics..."-incorrect! Acrylics get in the way of wudu as well(which as a pre-nursing student I should have remembered anyways). So last Thursday I went to Target to buy household and beauty items. While browsing the aisle for a jar of acrylic nail remover, a bottle of OPI nail polish caught my eye. It was a lovely shade of pink and I immediately thought of how hot the color would look on my hands and feet, and I sighed to myself. I resisted though and took the nails off.Funny though, because once they were gone, I didn't even miss them!

2 comments:

  1. Don't throw out all your polish and decals just yet; when women have their periods and hence don't have to make wudu, we can get our nails done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having this trouble with shaping of my eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete