Friday, April 2, 2010

In Other News...

Okay, I think I've vented enough for one night. It's time to talk about something positive.

So as a Muslim woman I am pretty much replacing my whole wardrobe. As much as it shames me to admit it, the vast majority of my clothing doesn't count as modest. I started wearing hijab on Monday, but since I only have two long skirts some serious shopping needed to take place. Fortunately I was able to take care of that yesterday. While I need to buy more items, I have enough to hold me over until I can afford to replace everything. I found a nice collection of scarves and learned how to wrap them properly. This was a major relief for me, as I was getting tired of wearing kangas on my head and upper body. It's amazing how submitting to Allah changes one's life. Just seven months ago I was a woman that had little problem going out in hot pants and stilettos. Now, I look at abayas with coordinating scarves and think to myself:"That is so FLY!" What a journey it has been!

1 comment:

  1. Subhanallah, ALLAH really does change our lives for the better. Masha'Allah, it's terrific that you're already wearing hijab. As far as changing your wardrobe, just take it one step at a time. Gradually replace the clothes that you don't want anymore with clothes that you will wear. Right now, Target is selling a TON of super-cute maxi dresses for really cheap prices (I got one for only $22!). You could also ask some women at the masjid you go to if they know where you could find modest clothes, or if they have any old clothes that they would be willing to share with you (if you're comfortable asking). Many masjids have a "clothing bin" of hijab-appropriate clothes for new Muslims or Muslims that can't afford new clothes, so you could ask around and see if there's something like that nearby. If you want new clothes (and who doesn't? :) ), eastessence.com has a lot of different skirts, jilbabs, and long shirts for very reasonable prices (I got a simple brown jilbab there for $20).

    ReplyDelete